The next time you visit a CapEd branch, you’ll notice “NO HATS, NO HOODS, NO SUNGLASSES” signs posted in the lobby and you may be wondering why. Below, we’ve answered some of the most common questions we’ve received.
- Q: You’ve had “No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses” signs up for several years, why are you enforcing it now?
A: Based on recent robbery activity, we’ve been reviewing our security procedures to determine what we can do, if anything, to deter potential robberies. Most robbers don’t want to be identified so they hide behind hoods, hats, and sunglasses. We need to be able to identify anyone and everyone who walks into one of our branches.
- Q: So do you think I’m going to rob you?
A: Of course not! Our members are AWESOME and would never do that. Our goal is to keep you—our members—and our staff safe, and this is one way you can help us do that.
- Q: But I’ve been coming in for years and all the tellers know who I am. Why do I have to comply?
A: You’re right, but here’s the thing; if we ask one person to remove his hat, and not you, it could look like we’re favoring some people and discriminating against others. We don’t play favorites; we love all our members!
- Q: I was asked to remove my hat, but the guy at the next teller station was wearing his. That’s not fair.
A: Very likely, he was already asked to remove his hat, we identified him, and he opted to put his hat back on.
- Q: What happens if I don’t want to remove my hat, sunglasses, or hood?
A: If for any reason you feel you can’t comply with the No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses policy, you’re always welcome to use our drive up service or ATM. If you choose to use the drive up, our drive up tellers need to see enough of your face to identify you. A hat, hoodie or other head covering may be worn in the drive through as long as they can clearly identify you.
- Q: What if I don’t want to remove my headwear for medical, cultural, or religious reasons?
A: We won’t ask you to remove your items for any medical, cultural, or religious reasons.
We understand that our policy may be a bit inconvenient for some, but we hope you understand that our intent is to protect our members and employees. We truly appreciate your cooperation and support!