Have you ever wanted to look awesome while managing the amount of money that comes out of your pocket? To do this, here are a few steps:
- Look online. You can find great websites that aren’t very expensive and have trendy clothes. For girls, fashionable places to look are Forever21.com or 15DollarStore.com. For guys, StealDeal.com and Milanoo.com are ideal and cheap.
- Plan before you buy. So many times I’ve bought a pair of pants and a shirt that don’t complement each other. I wind up sulking about the same situation I started in—miscellaneous clothes and no solid outfit. Try clicking around on the sites mentioned above to trigger ideas for outfits.
- Find affordable accessories. For girls, discount department stores often have sterling silver jewelry for $10 or less that can make an outfit look complete. For guys, I would suggest looking for an inexpensive watch or a chain necklace. Class rings also can look appealing.
- Shop at discount stores. Stores like TJ Maxx and Ross have extreme price markdowns and are kind of like outlet stores. These two are my most popular discount stores, and your town might have more like them. Clearance racks are awesome! You also can check out thrift stores or garage sales for cool vintage finds.
- Stick to your budget. Decide ahead of time how much you’ll spend on a shopping trip. When you find an outfit you like, calculate how much everything will cost. If the price goes over your budget, trade some more expensive things out for cheaper things. If you’re at your budget or below, buy your clothes.
These are some ways you can save money and still look good. Nobody will ever be able to tell the difference and you’ll look hip and cute!
By Kendall, age 16, Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Copyright 2011 CUNA Inc.